Friday, August 31, 2007

Chicken & Cheese Enchilada Casserole

Chicken & Cheese Enchilada Casserole

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 tortillas (I used the low carb, high fiber ones)
1 can Progresso Chicken Cheese Enchilada soup
1 pkg sliced Pepper-Jack cheese

- Cook the chicken in the oven @ 350, covered, for at least an hour (I put them in still frozen, and cooked them for about an hour & a half)
- Leave the oven on when your doing the next steps
- Take each chicken breast and quickly shred it - with a fork - in a big bowl
- Open the can of soup, pour it over the chicken, mix it together
- In a round or square pan (I used the same one I cooked the chicken in), layer a tortilla, some chicken mixture, & cheese. Repeat until you're done. The way mine ended up, I had a top layer of cheese, tortilla, cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, @ 350, for around 20 minutes - you just want all the cheese to melt.

Now, this is a little spicy, even the soup itself, so use a milder cheese if you prefer. Trevor, Lance & I could have eaten more than I fixed. Both Trevor & Lance couldn't stop saying how much they loved this. Lance said, "this is a keeper; fix this anytime." Trevor agreed. Usually Trevor is not that excited about anything I fix, so it made me very happy to have him rave about a meal I fixed (so I thought - I must share this on my blog!).

I like many things about this meal - 1) there are very few ingredients, 2) since you're just cooking the chicken until it can be shredded, you have a lot of leeway on the initial cooking time, and I need that with my kids, 3) it is tasty & spicy, 4) it is low-carb, high protein, high fiber.

7 comments:

Donna said...

I love the sound of this recipe, Laura! I can't wait to try it. Thanks!

VA said...

Thanks for the great recipe!

oofie goofie said...

I thought I might try this, but can't find the soup. Where did you find it?
Thanks!
Ruth

Laura said...

I last found it at the Soddy Daisy WalMart. I went to the Soddy Daisy Bi-Lo today and they did not have it. I think I've gotten it at the new WalMart below Signal Mtn, also.

oofie goofie said...

Food Lion Big Ridge carries it!

Lisa said...

Sounds great! I'm going to print this out and try it soon! : )

oofie goofie said...

Laura, I made this last night. Adam does not like anything but plain meat, corn or rice. Nothing mixed together. He did like this, and asked me to make it next time his parents came. I couldn't believe it!